Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Daughter and an Impish Appa

It s been almost one year, I am far from my home. But never once, I ve felt missing my father. It so happened today that I heard John Mayers Daughter’s song and actually started sort of digesting the lyrics. I ve been hearing this song for years and have never had an idea of analysing it. But today this somehow made a deep impact and thus comes this post. This post is an ever special dedication to my special father in this little world.

Fathers and daughters always share a special relationship which is much more special than mothers and sons do. I was born after eight and half years. This fact, itself made me more special in the family and the credits kept on added as me being a girl.. Being the only girl, my brought up was so rich and healthy. My father was so careful that apart from being a father’s girl I was also brought up with more liberty, freedom and independent. 

This tall, medium-built, balding old man (never mind, he tags himself young) with sparse silvery hairs adorning the rear portion of his head, and looking mischievous totally incongruous with his 55+ age could be spotted, more often than not, always with his daughter. He wakes me up 5 times in the morning.

The first would be with singing (funnily) some old song,,(this at times include dancing). Obvious, I would show no response.
The second with a slogam that his father used to wake him up (ezhun-thirin-gada pa-san-ga-la,,blah blah).
Third with “kannama,,,amma thitra,,wake up”.
Fourth with “Preethi!!!”.
Finally fifth with, “ I am not going to wake her up, its none of my business. She should have her responsibilities” (with an angry tone).
Finally I would understand my limit. 

Despite all his histrionics and theatrics loaded with tons of practical jokes, appa was far too innocent and had a pristine heart. Starting from the morning newspaper time, I would always want his company. He packs my bag, drops me in bus stand, at times rushes behind the bus, and picks me back in the evening. I was so dependent on him and loved that. He gave me my own space in everything I needed. He has always asked for my decision from very small to big matters and has implemented everything.

Honestly he never had patience. He would tune his piano to my shruti and if I am not louder enough or if I miss it once,,Over. I know how much fun, thrill, exiting and more fearful it was, when he taught me driving. Soon enough I expressed my wish to ride, he bought me a cycle. I was asking for a three wheeled medium cycle and he bought me a big two wheeled matured cycle. I learnt how to ride, except that I can neither sit and initiate the ride nor I can turn 180 deg with balance. I needed him for both.  Years passed by and he bought me a scooty. Learning that wasn’t pretty tough. He named it as “Achtung Baby” and pasted the sticker. Soon enough me and my scooty became so popular. He next wanted me to drive a car and presented me a car on my 18 th birthday. Seriously, I understood how difficult it was to be his student. Never mind, Out of limitless sweet encounters, the above will be still vivid in my mind, never to go away ever.

I still remember, an aged handicapped beggar couple, scantily clad and shivering, thanks to the nippy breeze, opened the gate of the house and walked in, straight towards appa and begged for alms. What he did was something monumental. Without a second thought, he went straight inside the house. Took many good pairs of his shirts and pants, many good sarees of amma, woollen bedspreads, food, money, and gifted them, giving them a total makeover. The couple, found themselves cosy, prostrated before this crazy donor and ambled out wishing and blessing his generations.

Appa, you have ever been my craziest lovable father and you are the best man, I have ever seen. ( Hoi!! Remember, I told best man, not best boy, I have someone else to be my Best boy).
I love you  :)

2 comments:

  1. Preethi,
    Amazing maaa !!! Both u and ur parents are really lucky to get each other. hats off to your love to ur dad !!!!I wish it be last longer

    Thanks
    Bharath

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Gablu
    Hi glad that you liked it:)
    thanks for the wishes..may i kindly know who s this..

    Cheers
    Preethi

    ReplyDelete