Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Sudden happy twist in the tale - Canberra is Calling with an awesome Job!!

Well, its time to say Hello Canberra :)

       All these days right from day 1 we were thinking about Melbourne and even made our first landing short trip to Melbourne. And then, one fine morning everything changed.

        We both randomly were applying jobs all over Australia, as ours is an independent visa (visa 189). After our surprise short trip to India this Jan 2015, the blessings from all elders and temples worked out instantly and we both were greeted with interview calls in our emails when we had landed back in Singapore. We both had skype interviews on Jan second week. And now, for the climax we both were successful. By February first week I had an offer letter for full-time Phd in Melbourne and when were about to celebrate my victory Arvind's offer came pouring in after that.

        My husband is a lark and I am not that much of a morning person. And all the good news, be this job offers or our PR or any other news for that matters comes to us early in the morning and Arvind rushes to me, wakes me with a jerk and shouts the whole thing even before I get conscious. The same happened for this and my heart skipped few beats for seconds when he told be about his offer.

        That's only when I realized we are not only a smart-working couple but we can't get more lucky for 2 reasons,

1) Our plan had always been that we would be migrating by June 2015, look for a Job and that's why we had saved money to face the migration expenses and sustain financially during the job search period. But now, we not only land in Canberra with a job, but the relocation expenses are covered by Arvind's employer too. I know its all bragging but I can't be more proud.

2) My only concern to Arvind was not to limit himself by searching only for satellite related jobs, which is current field in Singapore. To encounter more opportunities I requested him to expand his search/interests in anything related to embedded systems. But very fortunately, all thanks to LinkedIn he was able to find the same kinda defense job in Canberra too. Now, I can proudly brag that my husband works for Australia Defense Research, Canberra ACT.

        Eventually we decided to let go my Phd offer, as the purpose of this whole migration itself is to stay together and start a family. So I find it meaningless when I have to stay 500 Kms far from him. Fortunately Arvind tops my priority list. And more importantly I will be going as a student and Arvind as a full time employee with maximum benefits. So obviously we chose Arvind's path. This may put an end to my Phd and Melbourne dream temporarily, but with a supportive husband like this, I am sure that I will make myself worthy some day in Canberra too.

        Now we are all set, one way flight bookings - done, Shipping - arranged, temporary accommodation - done, Sg matters- settled, investments - closed, contracts- terminated, Packing- done. We leave Singapore on April 14 th and the date is not far away :)
Years became months, Months became days, Days became minutes and Canberra here we come.

"Good bye Singapore" post and "Things to do during Migration" post coming right away. Stay Tuned!

See you in Canberra :)

No comments:

Post a Comment