Sunday, April 12, 2015

Bye Bye Singapore- Six Awesome Years!!

Hello All :)

        We are making our final count-down. When I think about it my heart beats a little faster. After all the efforts, hopes and struggles all these years, migrating to Australia turned into a reality from a dream. After all Singapore is where my family, friends and myself witnessed my transformation of growing to a mature woman from a very dependent messy girl.

        It all started in Aug 15 2010. I was 21 years old when I landed in Singapore for my Masters at NTU with three over sized bags. That was my first big move. Back at home, with amma feeding me breakfast every morning, appa chasing my college bus to drop me everyday, sunny weather, too many temples, ridiculous traffic, best eateries, I was way too much naive, innocent, clumsy, dependent girl bought up in Trichy, South India.
     
        Its 5 years now since I landed in Sg, I completed my masters, worked as a Research Associate, got married, shifted homes, did things I thought I'll never do in my lifetime. After first two years in Singapore, I desperately wanted to escape it and preferred living in another country than here. But then, after all the experiences all these years, I feel different and now this nostalgic feeling  starts to creep in when I am about to leave. I am now a strong woman with strong ideas. I don't need someone to tell me what to do and that is what living in Singapore has taught me.


         After all, Singapore is my second home. I have explored almost every corner of this country, It is not only just a fine green clean country, but there is much more tradition and emotions to it. Of course first things first:

1) SAFETY:
 ------------------
        Back in India, after 6 PM when I wanted to get a chocolate or want to go to a friends place to drop a book, my parents answer would be a very strict NO. Either my father does it for me or my mother accompanies me. Here when I have a strong craving for a hot dog at 2 AM, I just take a walk to a 7-Eleven with absolutely no fear, feeling completely safe. Of course Arvind walks with me. But that is not for my safety. No one here says 'Be careful'. Before I came here I just thought the statement- 'Nowhere is safe when compared to Singapore' is a myth. But turns out, its not!

2) FOOD HEAVEN:
---------------------------
        There is something for everyone here. And of course for a foodie couple like us- what's not to love - Multi Cuisine, very reasonable prices, affordable fine- dines, extremely accessible kopitiams.. Singapore food is to die for! (needs a separate post ).

3) THE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AND THE NIGHT LIFE:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The shops(most of them) closes at 5 PM in Australia. I am very excited that the average working hours is 35 hours a week in Canberra- one of the main reasons to migrate, so my husband-the workaholic gets to spend time with family. But everyone sleeps late here in Sg. The city is full of lights, fun and energy at night. Though we are not wild party animals, we did occasionally take advantage of the night life culture every now and then in Sg and we always take taxis back home.
      The Cabbies are knowledgeable and are trust worthy enough. As a matter of fact, all my friends who have lost something in a cab here, have always got it back no matter what it is. And I fall asleep in the cab and return home without being raped. Haters can hate me for saying this, but just stating the fact. The buses and MRT's are incredibly easy, comfortable and fast. In this 6 + years, I've never been in a bus that is not air-conditioned.

4) THE TECH-SAVVINESS:
--------------------------------------
        One of the cool things about Singapore. There is video surveillance every nook and corner, wifi  coverage everywhere, hi-speed internet easily available, what more and what not?! Any gadgets that releases in the market, it is here the next second. People are so much into tech that every new phone release is a mini festival here. One morning all were holding iPhone 5 and the the next day iPhone 6 gets released, everyone has that. I keep wondering about the old (!!) Iphone 5's. Though, the statement "gadgets are cheap in Sg" is a complete myth unless it is got under a contract. It is affordable for Sg money but not cheap.

5) THE INFRASTRUCTURE:
--------------------------------------
        When I landed here, the HDB blocks was like cut, copy, paste to me. Though with this transport facilities, getting to the right place was never difficult, I would be standing in the correct place and wondering which building is my destination. Something is renovated all the time- roads, lifts, HDB's, malls..It is always new, sparkly and awesome. It is always modern, clean and green. No one has seen/ bought a water filter here. You are in the washroom and you are thirsty? Just drink the tap water. Water here undergoes a high-quality treatment and purification process and is drinkable straight from the tap.
        Yes, you can't chew a gum in Singapore. But atleast you can see litter -free streets and roads, like literally litter-free everywhere.

6) THE SINGLISH :
--------------------------
        Singlish: My Microsoft word does not show an error when I typed Singlish. It's there in my Word's Dictionary :P I will miss Singlish and Kiasu aunties. Ha!! This is a sentence I never thought I would say in my life. It was funny and strange when I came here. But now, after all these years I find myself speaking Singlish to aunties and cabbies at expert level.
#Can also Can #Cannot also Can lah !!!

7) LUXURY:
------------------
        There are 5 Louis Vuitton showrooms in Singapore and people still queue up. Forget the availability, high end designer brands are affordable here. So with Singapore money and Indian economy, one could easily afford a Penthouse.

8) THE CHANGI AND THE AFFORDABLE FOREIGN VACATIONS:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        For the successive 7th time Changi is awarded the best international airport in the world. Each time we plan a vacation, we will be so excited to shop at Changi than we are excited about the holiday. We reach Changi 5 hours prior to our departure. That is how amazing it is.
        This 6 + years, we've been to 12 + exotic locations. 2 vacations a year and its easy to cover almost all the South East Asian countries. And that's how affordable foreign vacations are.

9) LEE KUAN YEW AND HIS LEGACY:
------------------------------------------------------
        Well, How was all this possible? It was all because of the foundation he laid. Virtually incorruptible, extremely transparent, highly functioning government did not jump one fine morning.
"Whoever governs Singapore must have that Iron in him. Or give it up. This is not a game of cards. This is your life and mine. I spent a whole lifetime building this. As long as I am in charge nobody is going to knock it down."
"Even from my sick bed, if you are going to lower me into the grave and I feel something is going wrong, I will get up"  - LKY
        May Singapore never forget or sqander his legacy.

So, Just a few among many things I love and I will miss. Just writing the post makes me realize how much I will miss Sg.
Farewell Paradise, Until we meet!!









No comments:

Post a Comment